Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Strezzzzed Out Seeester

My teacher gave me an assignment to do something nice for someone who is more stressed out than I am. I have been having a hard time finding someone who fit this description because I have been pretty stressed to say the least.

I was walking towards the communications building when I ran into my little sister Jessica. She is a freshman here at BYU and this is her last semester before she goes on a mission. She is an okay student, but not the best (JUST LIKE ME). She is currently in a physical science class and she is not doing well in it at all.

As I ran into her, she was headed to the testing center to take a test for that class. It was the last test before the final...(Who gives a "midterm" the day before reading days?) She needed to do well on the test if she wants to pass the class. I asked her how much she had studied and she explained that because of her crazy work schedule this past week, she hardly had any time. She was freaked out because she did not feel prepared enough and knew that she would be doing a lot of guessing.

I had been walking to the comms building for my next class that would not be starting for another two hours. I was just going to work on my MCOM case analysis until class started.

I am protective of my siblings, and I get sad when they do not succeed so I decided to help her. I told her I wanted to sit with her and go over her notes and help explain things she didn't know. I did poorly in that class, but now that I know how to study better, and because it was not a class I have to currently deal with, it is much easier to learn about. We sat for an hour and a half and I told her the things I knew about the topics and we looked the hard concepts up on the internet. I gave her a little pep talk and reassured her that she shouldn't stress about it because it was not the end of the world. As she left to walk over to the testing center, she seemed happy and had a more care free attitude about it. She was as prepared for the test as she could have been with the time she had, and at that point there was nothing else to do about the situation other than try her best.

She texted me after she got out of the test and she got a 78! That is not a good score in the BYU world, but for Jessica, in that class, it was amazing. Her previous scores were so bad I can not write them publicly. Haha. Mine were equally as bad so I don't judge!

She was really excited and with this very improved score, she has the confidence to do better on the final for that class.

I love my little sister and it was fun getting to spend some extra time with her because I usually am not able to. It was also fun getting to see her do much better than usual! I think that being supportive and showing her I wanted to take an interest in her and help her is what made the difference. The studying maybe did a tiny bit, but showing someone you care can go a long way!


No comments:

Post a Comment